The Columbia Critic

A place to debate anything we want to. We'll talk Columbia campus issues. We'll talk up the homosexual problem. We'll talk China. And we'll talk without resorting to partisan rhetoric. We may be left. We may be right. But we aren't going to be quoting any party line. We're leading the discussion. But feel free to chime in. Hannity and Colmes this is not.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

In the words of Senator Obama: Democrats "have been in a reactive posture for too long."

Finally, some common sense from some Democratic leaders. After all, I’ve been saying for a few years now that the problem with Democrats, in my view, is that they have become a party that’s just about opposition; they have become the anti-Bush party rather than a party of ideas. A reactionary party in my view, that opposes everything Bush and Republicans do for opposition’s sake and without any clearly presented alternatives, is not one that can retake the confidence of the American people. And that’s why I’m glad to see a few prominent Democrats recognize that.

First, there is Senator Barack Obama (D-IL), who comments in this article from the New York Times that “We have been in a reactive posture for too long. I think we have been very good at saying no, but not good enough at saying yes." I couldn’t agree more.

As Gov. Phil Bredesen of Tennessee (a Midwestern/Southern Democrat!) adds, “We're selling our party short; you've got to stand for a lot more than just blasting the other side… The country is wide open to hear some alternatives, but I don't think it's wide open to all these criticisms. I am sitting here and getting all my e-mail about the things we are supposed to say about the president's speech, but it's extremely light on ideas. It's like, 'We're for jobs and we're for America.' "

When I mention this, of course, Democrats have attacked me for it, denied it, and basically treated me as if I am too partisan to see the situation clearly. I hope Senator Obama and Governor Bredesen will be taken more seriously by their peers.

I would like there to be a serious and responsible alternative to Republican leadership in this country. I think the two party system is a good system and a remarkably stable one, but that depends on two good alternatives. It’s such a tragedy, then, that today’s Democrats have failed to present to many Americans a serious alternative rather than the blanket opposition and criticism that has become their trademark since 2000.
Link

2 Comments:

  • At 10:28 PM, Blogger The Gentle Cricket said…

    As a republican, I couldn't agree with you more. Despite my personal ideals, I recognize the value of a two-party system...the checks & balances it provides, but more importantly the ability to present at least two different solutions to a common problem. In fact, I often agree with Democrats (don't tell), but recently have had nothing to agree with them on. They seem to have lost any real issues on their platform, which is dangerous. It allows my party to run rampant.

    Great to see a democrat who is not so defensive of the issue.

     
  • At 2:25 AM, Blogger The Oracles said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home